Below are links to some quick How-Tos that will help you familiarize yourself with the functionality of the BGC Wikis:
First Steps and Basic Editing
- Getting on the BGC Wikis - This guide helps you create a Wikidot.com account and show you the steps to becoming a member of individual BGC wikis.
- BGC Wikis - If You Forget Your Password - This guide will walk you through resetting your password.
- Basic Text Entry and Formatting -
- Creating Pages and Links - This guide teaches you how to create a new page, link to pages within wikis, and create links to sites on the World Wide Web.
- Bullets and Numbering - This guide will teach you how to create bulleted and numbered lists in the wiki.
- Footnotes and Citation - This guide explains how to use the footnoting and citation functionality of the BGC Wikis.
- Table of Contents and Headers - This guide helps you to use Headers and Tables to organize your pages.
- Tables - This guide will show you how to make a table on your wiki page.
- Watching Wikis - This guide will show you how to watch (and stop watching) wiki pages.
Files, Images and Media
- PDFs and Files: Uploading and Linking - This guide walks you through the steps of uploading and linking to file types such as .doc, .pdf, .ppt, etc.
- Image Insertion - This guide will show you how to add images to your wiki pages from three types of sources, as well as how to control their size and placement.
- Image Galleries - This guide will show you how to make create a gallery of images on a wiki page.
- Adding Links to Images - This guide will show you how to make an image have a link to a document or website.
- Embedding Video and Other Media - This guide shows you how to add a multimedia dimension to your site by embedding content from sites such as YouTube, Vimeo, Google Maps and Docs, Prezi, and other web services.
These guides will help you with functions that are active across multiple pages on your site such side and top menus, tags and tag clouds, comments, and discussion boards.
- Breadcrumbs and Parent-Child Pages - This guide will show you how to automatically generate hierarchical linking directly under your page title by creating parent-child relationships between pages.
- Comments - This guide will teach you how to implement the BGC wiki comments module on a page.
- Forum Setup and Use - This guide will teach you how to set up the Discussion Forum and then organize its structure.
- Side and Top Menu Customization - This guide will show you how to make your site more navigable by customizing the top and side menus.
- Tagging and Tag Clouds - This guide will explain how you can use the tagging tools in the wiki, and how they can be useful for BGC projects.
Advanced Wiki Functionality
- Blog Setup and Use - This guide will help you create a blog in your wiki that will automatically date order posts and even create an RSS feed for your page.
Other Popular Software
- Prezi How-To - This guide will show you how to create a dynamic presentation through the Prezi website.
- Omeka How-To - Under Construction This guide will help you create a digital exhibition using Omeka tools and templates.